Actuary, Strategic Research
Leads development and management of experience study capabilities. Provides business line and technical expertise to cross-functional projects, particularly with respect to solving problems and developing new capabilities.
SCOR, the 4th largest reinsurer in the world, provides insurance companies with a diversified and innovative range of solutions and services to control and manage risk. Using its experience and expertise (“The Art & Science of Risk”), SCOR provides cutting-edge financial solutions, analytics tools and services in all areas related to risk – in Life & Health insurance (longevity, mortality, LTC, etc.) as well as in P&C insurance (natural catastrophes, agriculture, industry, transport, engineering, etc.).
Key duties and responsibilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert on life research and development multi-discipline team with focus on mortality
- Lead certain global strategic research projects as assigned
- Prepare and structure data for analysis
- Determine modeling approach fit for purpose of study
- Develop models to analyze data and perform actuarial modeling to support research projects
- Assist global functional teams in the development of the project proposal submissions and assessment of project costs, resources and success factors
- Timely preparation and communication to present reports and research findings
- Deployment of in-depth research as identified via governance process and ad-hoc research, as needed
- Analysis of correlations, trends, and leading indicators of mortality to support the development of SGL’s POV
- Support for internal model calibrations, as necessary
- Support the extension of SGL’s POV in the marketplace through articles, webinars, publications and speaking engagements, and participation on industry committees
- Support the drive the innovation initiatives and expand the Velogica product into the preferred underwriting market
- Participate in the development of research papers that present the SCOR view on industry mortality and experience trends that will position SCOR as a thought leader in the Industry
- Monitor developments and research around mortality, mortality trends, and modelling techniques through review of publications, papers, etc., prepare summary reports, with follow-up with further research, as needed
Required experience and Education
- 6-8 years relevant experience as credentialed actuary; FSA preferred.
- Competent in SQL and a statistical/datascience programming language such as R, Python, or SAS.
- Experience using DataRobot a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of modeling, mortality analysis, underwriting implications on mortality, statistical, actuarial and risk modeling
- Experience managing projects and effectively representing department at various meetings.
- Intellectual curiosity and demonstrated ability to research and solve complex technical problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to understand audience and effectively communicate technical concepts.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Experience mentoring and developing associates.
- Demonstrated ability to understand broader picture and impact of decisions.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to make strategic decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex models and perform analysis to deliver required results.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement departmental processes and controls and ensure appropriately documented.
- Technically astute within the actuarial discipline and industry software applications.
- Ability to communicate to Senior Management on broad business issues and how the interaction of those business processes and decisions affect our business plan.
- Ability to communicate with associates in IT, operational and other non-actuarial roles to explain the needs of the business line