SCOR is an independent global reinsurance company, aiming to develop its Life and P&C business lines, to provide its clients with value-added solutions and to pursue an underwriting policy based on profitability, through effective risk management and a cautious investment policy. In this way, SCOR offers its clients an optimal level of security (AA- rating from S&P and Fitch and Aa3 rating from Moody’s) and creates value for its shareholders. The Group’s strategy is based on a development model driven by three entities: the P&C entity, the Life entity and the Asset Management division.
Key duties and responsibilities
Working under the direction of senior counsel, the Associate Counsel’s work will include legal research, document review, contract and document preparation, risk identification and remediation. This role will include the following:
• Provide legal advice and counsel to the business lines and their leadership.
• Risk mitigation, assessment and advice to management.
• Active management of disputes that may arise, including management of outside counsel.
• Document review, negotiation and preparation within expected timeframes and to a high standard of quality.
• Accurate and timely production of all assigned tasks.
• Identify and protect the Company’s interests in all matters.
• Work independently and with minimal guidance from other legal staff.
• Interact with and serve as an educational resource for assigned business lines concerning legal issues and how SGL Americas operational norms and practices interact with legal issues.
• Assume significant roles in SGL Americas, SGL and Group projects to enable the business units/internal clients to achieve goals.
• Provide clear, concise legal advice, grounded in thorough knowledge of Company business and process, to senior business unit leadership.
• Proactively engage in the business processes of assigned internal clients so as to anticipate needs and risks.
Required experience and Education
• Minimum Experience: 7-10 years in private practice or corporate environment.
• Insurance or reinsurance experience required.
• Must possess excellent research and writing skills.
• Must be a self-starter, capable of engaging internal clients, understanding their business issues and concerns, and delivering quality legal advice and consultation in a timely fashion.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced, intellectually stimulating environment with professionals from multiple disciplines, including treaty, actuarial, finance, operations and sales and marketing.
• Ability to work in a collaborative manner both within and outside the Law Department is critical to success.
• Ability to work on multiple assignments and projects simultaneously to timely completion.
• Must deliver high quality work product to clients within established timeframes.
• Must be able to work with minimal supervision and instruction.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects and team assignments with minimal supervision and instruction.