United States (USA)
Senior Internal Auditor
Legal, Audit & Compliance
SCOR is the 4th largest Reinsurance Company worldwide, following a profit-driven underwriting policy and practising selectively across all branches of reinsurance. Our specialist teams operate in over 120 countries, developing value added and innovative products and services and making long-term commitments to their clients, namely insurers and large corporations.
The Group’s strategy is based on a development model driven by three entities: SCOR Global P&C (Property and Casualty reinsurance), SCOR Global Life (Life reinsurance), and SCOR Global Investments (asset management).
SCOR aims at having only one internal audit department located in several locations (e.g. Europe, Americas (United-States). Therefore the GIA unit based in the United-States will carry out mainly but not exclusively assignments in the Americas (North America and South America) on operations relating to Life and P&C divisions as well as all other functions. Audit engagements preparation and execution will be very closely coordinated with the Head of Group Internal Audit and will benefit from other Group Internal Audit resources.
The Group Internal Audit is an independent and objective function which ensures that the SCOR Group has the necessary level of control of its operations, gives advice on how to improve them and contributes to the creation of added value. It helps the SCOR group to reach its objectives, through a systematic and methodical approach, by appraising its most critical processes, both business and support, as well as those concerning risk management and corporate governance and by proposing solutions to reinforce their efficiency. The definition, the role, the area of activity and positioning as well as the governing principles are defined by the Internal Audit Charter, approved by the SCOR Group Chairman of the Board and the Audit Committee. The Group Internal Audit function reports directly to the SCOR Group Chairman of the Board and functionally to the Chairman of the Board Audit Committee to which it has direct access. The Group Internal Audit acts in conformity with the « International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing » established by the International Institute of Auditors (IIA) as well as its Code of Ethics and its Practices.
As Senior Internal Auditor, under the management of the Deputy Head Group Internal Audit – Americas, you will contribute to the group objectives within the framework of the responsibilities described below
Key duties and responsibilities
You will be in charge of the following key tasks (this description takes into account the principal responsibilities and is not to be considered exhaustive):
• Plan and complete audit projects within the entire SCOR Group as well as reporting the findings to management in accordance with SCOR GIA methodology and the IIA standards (Audit projects are mainly covering the processes, workflows and procedures of the internal controls system; moreover efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation will be checked)
• Take the lead of employees assigned to audit projects as applicable.
• Assist in establishing the GIA approach/concept i.e. risks analysis to derive the risk areas to be audited.
• Perform active on-the-job education of the assigned employees. If possible, provide comparison to similar procedures with the other segments. Drive recommendations based on best practices.
• Assist in establishing the periodic reporting of the audit activity to the local Board of Directors / Audit Committee as needed.
• Assist in internal audit projects with other GIA audit teams located globally.
• Assist in special projects with external auditors and/or/ IT Auditors.
• Continuously improve GIA competency and credibility to provide value to SCOR Group management through enhanced controls and processes, while developing strong relationships as an independent advisor
Required experience and Education
• Deep Life insurance / reinsurance experience required (with an actuarial background preferred)
• Advanced degree(s) in Actuarial Sciences or Accounting (e.g. Bachelor ’s degree in accounting/finance and a CPA or equivalent) is required. A Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) designation is seen as a strong plus
• Sound experience in setting-up and conducting interviews with employees on different management levels and various cultural backgrounds
• Mastery of MS Office, and other related desktop tools.
• Highest degree of ethics and integrity
• Flair to communicate openly and clearly, verbally and in writing
• Ability to understand complex business processes and interactions quickly and put in the right context
• Exact in analytics but able to differentiate when coming to conclusions, never losing the scope/goal of the audit or department’s goals
• Readiness to hold unpleasant discussions, suggest unpopular recommendations and enforce them
• Be able to work independently and proactivelywith positive and collaborative mind set approach
• Willingness to travel as needed
• Effective organizational skills, accuracy and detail orientated
• Systematic in approaching things but also willing to compromise with other ways and/or methods.
English (Can lead discussions and negotiations at the highest level. Writes complex reports)
Spanish (Can attend team meetings and engage in simple, short telephone conversations. Can write short memos and simple messages)