Vice President – SBS Claims, Americas
This senior claims professional must have a high level of technical claims and business expertise, with a background of handling complex claims for large and bespoke Fortune 1000 type of exposures. The person will operate in a team environment within SCOR Business Solutions (SBS) to achieve shared business objectives. The candidate will primarily manage property and casualty claims arising out of accounts and contracts written by SBS North Americas within an overall framework of complex claims management. The position also includes oversight of the significant SBS claims handled in Canada and Latin America. The VP for SBS America is a member of the Americas claims management team and will co-ordinate as needed on areas of common interest to all SCOR product lines (including treaty and program business) such as Internal and external audit, marketing and staff training.
The role reports directly on claims handling matters to the Global Head of Business Solutions Claims based in London. There is a dotted line report to the SVP & Head of Americas Treaty Claims for adminstrative matters as well as coordination among the Americas claims management.
There are 4 SBS claim staff in the New York office who directly report to the VP, SBS claims. In addition as a leader of the SBS team the candidate will provide oversight to the work other claims professionals within the America’s operations who are engaged in the handling of SBS claims in Canada and Latin America.
As a key member of the Global Business Solutions claims team, the role holder will work closely with other members of Business Solutions and SGPC to provide guidance on the claims assessment process and developing trends across complex claims within the Business Solutions portfolio. They will work with counterparts in other hub locations to ensure that Business Solutions claims handling is a consistent process.
This role will also see the role holder working closely with underwriters to develop the Business Solutions book of business within the US and Global marketplace. As a claims technical expert, they will contribute towards SCOR taking an enhanced lead position on complex risk transfer programmes.
SCOR is the 4th largest Reinsurance Company worldwide, following a profit-driven underwriting policy and practising selectively across all branches of reinsurance. Our specialist teams operate in over 120 countries, developing value added and innovative products and services and making long-term commitments to their clients, namely insurers and large corporations.
The Group’s strategy is based on a development model driven by three entities: SCOR Global P&C (Property and Casualty reinsurance), SCOR Global Life (Life reinsurance), and SCOR Global Investments (asset management).
Key duties and responsibilities
• Principal duties and responsibilities
• Provide local leadership to the SBS claims expert team, working with SVP Head of Americas Treaty Claims to provide a centre of excellence in claims handling to serve the Americas.
• Establishment and execution of a business plan for SBS claims in the Americas.
• Ongoing analysis of the improvement of operations and systems, staffing and workflow that support the SBS business and claims.
• Delivering expert claims adjusting to SCOR Business Solutions and The Channel 2015 Managing Agency (TCMA) on their US book as needed
• Managing the portfolio of claims in the Americas SBS remit: assess and evaluate policy liability and establish case reserves, assess settlement values of claims, consolidate data to report
• Negotiating settlement of claims to successful conclusion
• A focus on helping Casualty ( Including FI and PI) underwriters develop their portfolio of risks and manage these effectively
• Working with and independently of underwriting (based primarily in New York and Houston, but also Toronto, London and Paris) to develop and maintain client relationships and manage the review of key accounts
• Represent SCOR and the claims department internally and externally including review meetings with brokers and/or policy holders on an as needed basis
• Where required deputise for other senior colleagues locally or globally
• Participate in reviews of service providers to determine a preferred supplier approach
• Work within SCOR ethical and service standards as well as fulfilling compliance and regulatory requirements
Required experience and Education
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a Casualty market claims handling and management role. Familiarity and ability to engage in the management of property claims.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate consistent continuing success with recognition in the claims market in an underwriting, service provider or broking organisation
• Proven specialist technical management capability together with applied practical and commercial business skills to develop a portfolio approach to claims management
• Experience in managing and supervising a small highly motivated claims team
• Ability to establish a quality network and relationships with clients, brokers, underwriting and market communities
• Expertise and knowledge of claims handling in Casualty risks market, along with familiarity in the management of property claims
• Good communicator both externally within the Market and internally within the business
• Client relationship management – ability to show credibility with and able to build strong relationships with underwriters and senior executives
• Organised – self and others
• Analytical and strategic thinking
• Strong attention to detail, timeliness and accuracy
• Influencing and negotiation - relying on persuasiveness and relationships
• Exhibits natural authority – confident in their own technical abilities
• Team contributor and relationship builder, a willingness to collaborate with multiple teams including SBS claim staff in other hubs, claim management within the Americas and worldwide underwriting staff
• Results and service oriented with high standards of work
• Collaborative working style
• Preferred to be educated to degree level
• Insurance and legal or other specialist in practice qualification