VP, Financial Controller
Reporting to the SGLA CFO this position will be responsible for managing overall financial activities within the accounting and financial reporting area, including continual interaction with key financial executives throughout the Group. The individual will be responsible for ensuring proper procedures and controls are implemented and maintained in the production of IFRS and Statutory financial reporting information. The role requires the individual to communicate at all levels of the global organization.
SCOR, the 4th largest reinsurer in the world, provides insurance companies with a diversified and innovative range of solutions and services to control and manage risk. Using its experience and expertise (“The Art & Science of Risk”), SCOR provides cutting-edge financial solutions, analytics tools and services in all areas related to risk – in Life & Health insurance (longevity, mortality, LTC, etc.) as well as in P&C insurance (natural catastrophes, agriculture, industry, transport, engineering, etc.).
Key duties and responsibilities
• Plan and direct financial statement close activities for SCOR Global Life Americas to ensure timely delivery of all financial statement and reports.
• Ensure procedures and controls are adequately designed to provide the desired level of consistency and accuracy during the production of IFRS and Statutory financial reporting information.
• Ensure compliance with IFRS and/or Statutory Accounting principles, policies & practices.
• Coordinate implementation of new initiatives and accounting pronouncements with the various global accountants in Paris, Cologne, New York, etc.
• Establish financial reporting and planning priorities to align global and local resources and expectations
• Ensure general ledgers, subsidiary ledgers & other financial records & schedules are accurately maintained.
• Develop and maintain the framework to provide accurate and timely data and analysis for management reporting and decision support.
• Continually develop improved methods to make accounting work and processes efficient and effective while maintaining adequate controls
• Coordinate external audits or compliance inquiries to ensure proper representation of the Company to outside auditors.
• Manage required statutory reporting & compliance with governmental laws & regulations.
• Direct preparation and filing of IFRS financial information with parent which includes continually improving the process to ultimately develop a process where reporting to the parent is considered non eventful/”normal”
• Selection and development of staff.
• Mentoring and coaching of personnel.
• May perform other duties as required.
Required experience and Education
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
• 12+ years accounting experience
• Experience in insurance company financial reporting / statutory reporting.
• Experience in hiring, coaching & developing accounting and financial analysis staff.
• Experience developing, implementing & controlling financial reporting procedures and practices.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Extensive experience coordinating finance related communication with outside auditors and regulators
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of IFRS, US GAAP and statutory accounting principles, reporting and compliance.
• Strong computer skills.
• CPA, MBA or equivalent combination of education and experience, preferred.
• Experience working within reinsurance environment preferred
• FLMI or similar insurance industry certifications, preferred.