Strategic Planning and Business Development Manager
We are looking for a talented professional to join the team, reporting to the Deputy Head of Strategy & Business Development, to contribute to both Strategic Planning and Business Development activities.
With over 40 offices worldwide and business involvement in more than 150 countries, SCOR (2,581 employees, €13 billion annual turnover) is the leading French reinsurer and the 4th largest reinsurance company worldwide.
SCOR is active in three main areas: Property and Casualty reinsurance, Life reinsurance and Asset Management.
In a competitive environment and with top level skills, SCOR promotes profitability, sustainability, empowerment, expertise and operational excellence.
SCOR Global P&C
SCOR, the 4th largest reinsurer in the world, provides insurance companies with a diversified and innovative range of solutions and services to control and manage risk. Using its experience and expertise, SCOR provides cutting-edge financial solutions, analytics tools and services in all areas related to risk in Life & Health insurance as well as in P&C insurance. In 2016, SCOR had total premiums of c. €13.8bn, net income of c. €600m, and operated in more than 160 countries.
Within the SCOR Group, the SCOR Global Property and Casualty (P&C) division combines advanced tools, human expertise, and experience to underwrite reinsurance and insurance in multiple lines of business and geographic areas. It accounts for c. half of the Group’s total premiums.
Strategy & Development Team
The Strategy & Development Team supports the P&C division in the formulation and the execution of strategies and plans. Its activities include:
- Strategic Planning: preparation of the 3-year Strategic Plan and the annual Underwriting Plan detailing the underwriting strategy of the division by geographies and lines of business. These plans serve as a reference for the organization as it moves forward and underwriting results are monitored against them
- Business Development: analysis of our competitive environment and strategies in the sector, disciplined development of new products, geographies, and any other growth development initiatives (including M&A), and development and coordination of our relationships with (re)insurance brokers (including broker consulting units)
- Marketing: support to the client facing teams in their interactions with existing or prospective clients, focusing on the global consistency of our messages through various formats, including our publications or events, and the roll-out and improvements of our global CRM tools
The team also supports the SCOR Group communication with investors and with the rating agencies.
The Strategy and Development team works closely with the other P&C departments and operational teams. It thus offers a broad and comprehensive view of how a P&C reinsurance company operates and offers to its member exposure to all its Leadership Team.
The team is based primarily in Paris, with one person in New York. Our official working language is English, and most of the team are bilingual in French.
Missions et responsabilités
Your activities could include:
- Strategic Planning
- Drive analysis of the plan themes and objectives to prepare decision making at executive level – including owning financial/accounting models covering both the plan itself and specific development areas
- Manage reporting on the plan, including renewals reporting. Understand how the company prices business and reconcile between underwriting and accounting/financial views
- Manage the process (general calendar, objective settings for the participants, preparatory meetings, …)
- Prepare and finalize the plans and participate in presentations to senior management
- Contribute to the communication to the Rating Agencies and the Investors
- Ensure timely implementation, reporting and engage specific follow-up actions
- Manage the department’s internal controls processes
- Business Development
- Monitor and analyze the competitive environment and strategies in the sector; identify the main drivers of the trends in the positioning and the strategic moves of competitors, brokers and clients
- Coordinate and validate with relevant stakeholders and underwriting units the various market studies or consulting engagements they may require in their development, e.g., for the preparation and the definition of the Strategic Plan
- Develop, monitor quantitatively and qualitatively, and coordinate the relationships between the division and the various (re)insurance brokers – including building relationships with counterparts at brokerages, managing logistics of meetings, and driving specific projects
- Contribute to the analyses of potential M&A opportunities
The allocation of these activities, projects, and topics between you and the other Strategic Planning and Business Development Manager will be based on availability, capabilities, and interest with a view to allow each member of the team to develop a broad understanding of the SCOR Global P&C division.
Your role will involve regular interactions across the SCOR P&C division including with other support functions, e.g. Finance, Pricing, Reserving, or Underwriting Management, and with all the business lines and underwriting units. Coordination with other teams in the SCOR Group will also be key. And involvement with other insurers, brokers, and professional services firms such as consultants or investment banks will be continuous.
The position will be based in Paris with travel up to 25% of the time.
Expérience requise et Formation
The ideal candidate for this role would have the following experience:
- MBA or similar qualification from a leading global institution. An applicable industry qualification (actuarial, financial/accounting, or underwriting) would be a plus
- 3+ years of professional experience in either insurance or financial services, including experience in strategy consulting, investment banking, or the strategy department of a large global financial institution
- Professional experience in international environments
- English fluency required; skills in French, German, or other major business languages would be a strong plus
Additionally, the ideal candidate would demonstrate the following traits:
- Superior analytical skills and strategic thinking: you will need to understand and conduct complex quantitative analyses to generate insights into the development of strategic decisions and associated action plans
- Willingness and ability to learn: though deep knowledge of P&C (re)insurance is not a pre-requisite, it’s important to have a strong desire to learn and proven previous experiences of getting into a new industry and quickly grasping its fundamental principles
- Interpersonal and communication skills: because the job has regular exposure to SCOR’s top management, you will need to present ideas and results clearly, concisely and in a convincing way whether in writing or orally
- Leadership: as a project leader involving transversal teams, across geographies, without formal or reporting authority, you will need maturity, charisma, and leadership skills
- “Can do” attitude and ability to fit with SCOR’s culture: you will often be working on new problems where you will have to develop a unique way of solving them, so you will need to be practical and resourceful and able to work in a team to get results
HR Contact : Léa Ferran (email@example.com)